Thursday 19 February 2015

Writing For The Sake Of It

A few days ago I learnt the importance of writing for the sake of it. I wrote about 2,000 words of a story, that ended up going on a tangent that I did not initially wish to pursue. Instead to creating a concise short story with a message I wanted to share, I ended up with a half arsed back story, written all over the place in different voices. It was crap. I mean, really crap.

Looking over it again now, it's still crap, but the one thing I can take form it is that I created a character. I created a back story that, although in the final short story will never really be revealed, it gives me a basis for the final product. In my head, it gives it authenticity, because I have spent more time creating the universe in which this story takes place, and I think that will show in the writing itself. I'll refer back to this blog when I post it, and you'll see what I mean.

In other news, I hit 65,000 words of my novel today. That's a lot of words, considering when I started this project it was only going to be around 36,000 words long.

But anyway, as promised I have uploaded a story. I cheated a little because I happened across an old story on my laptop, but it's a story nonetheless: storiesofabeautifullydisturbedmind.blogspot.com

I also uploaded a new poem that I wrote today. Enjoy it at: poemsofabeatifullydisturbedmind.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment